- Skincare is everything. Finding the perfect skincare for you is probably the most important. To do that you have to know your skin’s needs, your budget and what you look for in the products you use. For example, in my case I have normal, dehydrated/ flaky skin with tendency to dry. This means that I need thin textures, rich with water in them. My skin can’t take heavy products neither many layers, no matter how thin these layers are.
I always feel like when you have the perfect foundation (foundation not as in the product itself but as in the general base) for your makeup, anything you put on top of it is going to look absolutely stunning, too. That’s why they say that skincare is also really important. Apart from the obvious benefits of taking care of your skin for your skin’s health, it’s also the best thing you can do for your makeup. In my opinion the truly right skincare for you is the perfect primer for your makeup.
The last couple of weeks I have been working on and off on my makeup collection with the goal to limit it down as much as possible so that it is easier manageable. After a first good clean up, I decided to go out and get me the perfect base. The idea is this: You’re going away for holidays or for whatever reason. What are the products you’re taking with you? (well obviously not you… I … but you get the idea). The products I already have are really good and I truly love them but I now started to need more out of my makeup and so visited a Bobbi Brown counter. They have the biggest selection across all brands as well as the best. The products I chose were the following:
- Extra Eye Repair Cream
- Skin Foundation Cushion Compact SPF 35 in Light
- Intensive Skin Serum Corrector in Extra Light Peach
- Intensive Skin Serum Concealer in 3 Warm Ivory
- Nude Finish Illuminating Powder in Bare
- Illuminating Bronzing Powder in 4 Aruba
- Brightening Brick in Coral
- Extra Lip Tint in Bare Melon
I have already talked about some of these products in my last week’s posts. Today my goal isn’t to talk about these products though but rather to share my experience and tell you how I chose them so that next time you go out shopping you know what you should look for whether that is at Bobbi Brown or any other brand.
- Foundation depends again on your skin but on other factors, too. These factors are your skin colour, your lifestyle and how you like to use it. Also, shade, texture and finish are things as important as the previous factors. I went for thin, buildable texture, matching my chest shade PERFECTLY and also a compact. My lifestyle has changed and I may be at home all day, or I may be out for more than 12 hours or anything in between. This means that I need to carry a makeup bag in my bag with most things in and almost no brushes. Quick, easy, compact, no technique needed and on-the-go.
- Corrector and concealer are essentials for me. Especially corrector. What I learnt from this last experience is that if the corrector is the right shade for you it should erase your dark circles completely. You shouldn’t need a concealer because the purpose of the corrector is to neutralize the colour of your dark circles making it invisible once you apply it. Concealer just comes on top to brighten basically. Definitely essentials in my makeup bag and now that I found the perfect ones for me they’re surely not leaving it.
- Powders are classically matte and their purpose is to set your makeup. Now these days you can find lots of different powders: simple ones, matte, illuminating etc. They also come in several forms: pressed, compact, loose. I suggest that you approach your powder in a similar way to your foundation. It depends on the same factors as your foundation but with a few exceptions. Colour match isn’t necessary as there are colourless powders, too, and the texture and amount you use depend on your skin’s needs. The kind of powder you want to have (loose, compact, colour or no colour) depends on your lifestyle. For example I went for an illuminating, almost colourless, compact with a mirror powder because I like to be able to dust a light hand on-the-go and revive my dull, dehydrated, sometimes-yellow-sometimes-pale skin.
- For blush, bronzer/contouring I use the same very general “rule”: if it brightens my skin, it’s the right shade. If not then it can still be good but it is not my personal perfect shade. The blush you choose should be the shade you naturally blush in. The bronzer should warm up your face without looking like it’s not your own or dirty or anything like that. Same goes for contouring. The shade of contour you choose (if you contour your face) should mimic the colour of the natural shadows your face has. Also, if you can see it from all angles it’s too much. It should make you look contoured and yet you shouldn’t be able to see it.
- Now for lip colour it depends on you. As I have extremely dry lips I went for an extremely nourishing, hydrating, repairing formula that worked wonders on my skin from the very first day. It is almost colourless yet uses the natural tint of my lips and their warmth to create my own unique shade or coral.
Keep in mind that all that are subjective, in the sense that for any product you use or are thinking to buy it depends on how you want to use it. Also, keep in mind that the best compliment you can get if you really know how to do makeup is how amazing your skin looks. Products in my opinion should undetectable. In beauty just like in most things in life there are rules but there are also exceptions to rules and in beauty and makeup every rule has exceptions for every person, too. Today I just shared with you my knowledge from all these years of passionately playing with makeup and from my experience from my last shopping trip, simply because it was the most successful shopping trip probably in my life. Just so you get an idea of the look they have on me, they would be my perfect no-makeup makeup. Completely undetectable, good shades, perfect formula for my skin's needs, perfect for my lifestyle, easy to use, perfect for on-the-go beauty whether that is a car, taxi, holidays... absolutely everywhere!
I hope you enjoyed this post. It is quite long but there is a lot of information in there that I personally find very useful. Let me know if you like me to do other posts like that or if you would like me to give more information on a specific product. If you did enjoy it my post please subscribe to my blog and follow my social media profiles on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Bloglovin’, and now Youtube. Until next time, I hope you have a great day. Talk to you soon.